Bryncethin RFC | 1st Team 22 - 22 Glyncorrwg RFC | 1st Team
Liam Morgan
Conversion 2
Penalty 1
Gavin Parsons
Try 1
Shane Howells
Try 1
Ryan James
Try 1
Steffan Williams
2 Try
Daniel Richards
1 Try
Benjamin Evans
2 Conversion
1 Penalty

Match Report
12 September 2017 / Team News

Win snatched away on final whistle

In their first home league game of the season Bryncethin were looking good when they opened up a 17-0 lead just before half time, but Glyncorrwg spoiled their day when they scored 5 minutes into injury time to level the scores and share the spoils.

The home side opened the scoring 4 minutes into the game when good handling by the backs resulted in wing Ryan James crossing for a try wide out. Scrum half Liam Morgan slotted over a superb touch line conversion and then added a penalty to leave the score at 10-0.
Morgan was also involved in the next try when full back Shane Howells showed good initiative taking a quick line out throw to him and further good handling, by backs and forwards, saw centre Gavin Parsons cross for a try which Morgan converted to open up what appeared to be a comfortable 17-0 lead. However that lead was reduced by seven points just before the break following a forward drive over the line from the Glyncorrwg eight for a converted try.
Shortly into the second half that lead was further reduced when a slightly bizarre try was scored after Bryncethin secured the ball from a ruck in their own 22 only for the ball to be passed back to a Glyncorrwg player, who suddenly appeared, and gratefully accepted the pass to stroll in for a converted try to reduce the lead to just three points.
When Glyncorrwg levelled the score with a massive penalty kick from the half way line it looked as if they were getting the upper hand but the young home team battled back and, following another spell of good handling, full back Shane Howells crossed for a try with 15 minutes to go.
At this point Bryncethin appeared to be in control and were held up on their opponents line on a number of occasions but, determined defence by the visitors, meant that they could not cross for that crucial score.
Into injury time Glyncorrwg were awarded a penalty in their own 22, which they chose to run, and although they were brought down in the home side half they were awarded a penalty which they kicked to touch and, at the resultant lineout, they were awarded a third penalty which saw their pack crashing over the Bryncethin line for the try that levelled the scores at 22-22.
Next week Bryncethin travel up the Gary Valley to face Pontycymmer in the WRU Bowl competition before returning to league action the following week when they entertain Pontrhydyfen.

Photo Gallery here