Cwmllynfell RFC | 1st Team 20 - 32 Bryncethin RFC | 1st Team
Dan Howells
2 Try
Thomas Lloyd Jenkins
3 Conversion
2 Penalty
2 Try

Match Report
29 January 2019 / Team News

Boys Battle On

 Atop the mountain between the Swansea and Amman valleys lies Cwmllynfell, which was snow covered ast Wednesday. Cwmllynfell RFC in third place in Division 3B West Central welcomed Bryncethin who were sitting one place and 1 point above them, for a match that would go a long way to defining both team's seasons. Unfortunately, the weather was to prove a key factor and was going to test both sides to the limits.

 Bryncethin chose to play into the strong wind and driving rain, a decision that proved crucial come the end of the game.

It was Cwmllynfell that scored first, as they pressed hard from the outset, scoring an unconverted try from a rolling maul. Cwm were using the wind well to their advantage and the heavier pack were able to keep a hold on the ball and hence pressure on the young Cherry and Whites.
When the visitors secured ball, they looked dangerous, evening under the conditions, as they were able to move the ball with great interplay. They were next to score after a kick over the top was not dealt with and the pressure allowed flier Dan Howells to get over the line from the resultant maul. The next 12 to 15 minutes was all pressure from Cwm, but stern defence and the odd counter into the wind kept the blues out for a time. Eventually pressure tolled and the home side scored on the touchline from a Bryncethin mistake. Nine minutes later cwm scored another unconverted try when a kick into the strengthening wind stuttered and was shipped to the Cwmllynfell flanks, for the wing to score despite last ditch covering tackles.

 With a try bonus in the bag, it seemed that the blues were home and dry, but on the stroke of half time, a flowing Bryncethin move saw captain Gavin Parsons cut the defence an hand on to Howells who strode over for his second, which stand in stand-off Lloyd Jenkins converted. 20-12 to Cwmllynfell at half time.

Bryncethin took full control in the second half, using the wind very wisely to turn the screw on the home side. Five minutes into the half, Jenkins scored and converted a try to put the visitors within a point of their opposition. Four minutes later he added a finely struck penalty to nudge Bryncethin into the lead and then added another on 55 minutes. With the game finely balanced and both teams throwing the kitchen sink at each other, territory ebbed and flowed. Cwm held two bonus points with two minutes on the clock and Bryncethin only had the 4 points for the win, so would only edge slightly ahead of the home side in the league.

 Then struck mercurial Jenkins. Some fine handling in the appalling conditions allowed the ball to get into open space, Jenkins darting through a slim gap, he sniffed the line and raced in for the killer blow that denied the home side an extra bonus and gave Bryncethin full points.

 Jenkins was rightly awarded the MOM for the game, but the whole team showed bags of grit and determination to get a result on the day. Cwmllynfell, to their credit were magnanimous in defeat, this being the second time the teams had met this season, the result going the same way at Bryncethin. With the top five teams all still in with a shout of promotion, the run in to the season is going to be very exciting. If we can keep winning, we will have a good chance of promotion. But, there's still a lot of rugby to be played.

The future is bright, the future is Cherry and White!



There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos